Letters of Intent for the 2022-23 Maine Women’s Giving Tree grant cycle should be submitted by November 1, 2021. Proposals must focus on projects or programs in Bath, Brunswick, Freeport, Harpswell, Phippsburg, Topsham, Woolwich, and Wiscasset.
The mission of the Maine Women’s Giving Tree (MWGT) is to improve the lives of people in our region by making annual grants to qualified non-profit organizations that serve women, children, and families in, Bath, Brunswick, Freeport, Harpswell, Phippsburg, Topsham, Wiscasset. Other communities in the Midcoast area may be added to reflect membership in those communities.
MWGT is organized exclusively for charitable and educational purposes, which include the making of grant distributions to organizations that qualify as exempt organizations as described under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. As a donor-funded 501(c)(3) organization, all members’ charitable contributions to the MWGT are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.
Grant Award Eligibility and Criteria
To be considered for a grant, organizations must:
- Meet MWGT’s mission
- Provide certification of current 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status
- Serve women, children, and families in the communities listed in our mission statement
- Address an important need to maximize the impact of MWGT funds in the community
- Articulate clear goals, objectives, and measurable outcomes
Organizations seeking MWGT support:
- May apply for only one grant a year
- Must expend all grant funds within 12 months of their receipt
- Must submit two written progress reports: an interim report after six months and a final report at the conclusion of the grant
MWGT does not fund:
- Organizational endowments
- Capital improvements or building maintenance
- Political activities or PACs
- Religious or faith-based organizations
- Event tickets or sponsorship, annual fundraising drives or events
- Deficit reduction
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis of race, creed, gender, sexual orientation,age, religion, disability, or national origin
- Indirect costs (costs of running the organization but not directly related to the proposed project)
The grant submission process will consist of two stages:
Stage One: Submission of Letters of Intent
- A one-page Letter of Intent to submit a grant proposal must be received by email on or before November 1 and sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The letter must contain: the name of the organization; the name of the principal contact person; a brief description of the proposal; the approximate amount of the grant request; and proof of the organization’s 501(c)(3) tax status
- Letters of Intent will be evaluated, and a response will be sent to the agency contact person on November 19.
- No more than 15 organizations will be selected to submit a formal grant application.
Stage Two: Submission of Grant Applications
- If you are selected to submit a formal grant application, please review the grant application information on this page and on the Grant Timeline and Grant Application pages.
- All grant applications must be received no later than January 31, 2022, and should be sent via email to email@example.com
The Grant Review Process
A Grant Review Committee carefully screens and evaluates every grant application. Using objective criteria, the Committee then makes initial recommendations for funding. These recommendations are presented to and voted on by the entire membership at a special meeting in late April. Every organization that submitted an application then receives written notification of our decision. In May, MWGT hosts a reception honoring all organizations receiving grants.
- Please consult the Grant Timeline for 2022-23 for important deadlines.
- Grant applications, detailed guidelines, and review criteria in PDF format can be downloaded here.
- Grant applications, detailed guidelines, and review criteria in WORD format can be downloaded here.
- Please consult “Tips for Creating a Strong Grant Application” here.
Interim and Final Reports
Interim Reports for 2022-23 grants are due January 31, 2022, and Final Reports are due July 31, 2022. Please follow the guidelines detailed here:
If you have any questions regarding the application or grant process, please email MWGT at firstname.lastname@example.org