Grant Award Eligibility and Criteria
To be considered for a grant, organizations must:
- Meet MWGT’s mission https://mainewomensgivingtree.org/who-we-are/mission-and-goals-2
- Provide certification of current 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status
- Serve women, children, and families in the communities listed in our mission statement
- Address an important need to maximize the impact of MWGT funds in the community
- Articulate clear goals, objectives, and measurable outcomes
Organizations seeking MWGT support:
- May apply for only one grant a year
- Must expend all grant funds within 12 months of receipt
- Must submit two written progress reports: an interim report after six months and a final report at the conclusion of the grant
MWGT does not fund:
- Organizational endowments
- Political activities or PACs
- Religious or faith-based organizations
- Event tickets or sponsorship, annual fundraising drives or events
- Deficit reduction
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis of race, creed, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, or national origin
- Capital improvements or building maintenance
- Indirect costs (costs of running the organization but not directly related to the proposed project)
Grant Application Process
The grant application process consists of two stages:
Stage One: Submission of Letters of Intent
- A one-page Letter of Intent to submit a grant proposal must be received by email on or before 5 pm on December 1, 2022 and sent to: email@example.com
- The letter must contain: the name of the organization; the name of the principal contact person; a brief description of the proposal; the amount of the grant request; and proof of the organization’s 501(c)(3) tax status.
- Proposals must focus on projects or programs that benefit women, children and families in Bath, Brunswick, Freeport, Harpswell, Phippsburg, Topsham, West Bath, Woolwich, and Wiscasset.
- Letters of Intent will be evaluated, and a response will be sent to the principal contact person on December 15, 2022.
Stage Two: Submission of Grant Applications
- Organizations selected to submit a formal grant application, should review the grant application information on this page and on the Grant Timeline and Grant Application pages.
- All grant applications must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on February 28, 2023, and should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Grant Review Process
An Objective Review Committee made up of grant reviewers carefully screens and evaluates every grant application. Using objective criteria, the team of reviewers then makes initial recommendations for funding to the Grants Committee. The Grants Committee recommendations are presented to and voted on by the entire membership at a special meeting in May. Every organization that submitted an application then receives written notification of our decision. In June, MWGT hosts a reception honoring all organizations receiving grants.
Please consult the Grant Timeline for 2022-23 for important deadlines.
Grant applications, detailed guidelines, and review criteria in PDF format can be downloaded here.
Grant applications, detailed guidelines, and review criteria in WORD format can be downloaded here.
Please consult “Tips for Creating a Strong Grant Application” here.
Interim and Final Reports
Interim Reports for 2020-21 grants were due January 31, 2022, and Final Reports are due July 31, 2022. Please follow the guidelines detailed here:
MWGT Interim and Final Reports- Interim and Final Report Form
If you have any questions regarding the application or grant process, please email MWGT at email@example.com